dimanche 10 février 2008

Bistec Picado

As I prepare to head to México to celebrate my birthday, I am thinking about all the wonderful food that I will be sampling over the next couple of weeks. This is my 7th trip to México and there are still plenty of new things to try as well as old favourites to get reacquainted with. This time I will be staying at the lovely Posada Tamarindo in Merida where I will have access to the cocina and be able to cook. I am looking forward to visiting the local market to buy fresh ingredients and dried chiles that I cannot get at home. I will try out new recipes and probably buy new cookbooks in Spanish.

Hasta luego

This recipe is an easy to make old favourite that I usually serve with Mexican rice or over steamed plain rice. It can also be rolled up in warm tortillas. Adjust the heat of the dish to your taste by using different chiles or by adding more chopped chile.



Bistec Picado
Serves 6

800 g (13/4 lbs.) filet of beef, cut into (1½ x ¼”) strips
45 ml (3 Tbsp) vegetable oil
1 medium green pepper, cut in strips
1 small onion, chopped
1 güero chile, finely chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
1- 240 mL (8¼ oz) can stewed tomatoes
5 mL (1 tsp) Worcestershire sauce
5 mL (1 tsp) dried oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste

Heat oil in large heavy skillet over high heat; add meat strips and cook until browned. Reduce heat and add green pepper, onion, chile and garlic. Cook until vegetables are limp. Add tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender.

Aucun commentaire: